Among us dark girls, it’s no doubt that at some point in time you’ve been maltreated because of your skin complexion. It probably made you feel bad and of course you thought it wasn’t fair. I’ve been there too. What pleases me much is the growing community of black women who are beginning to love and accept their complexion. It has even reached the extent that even fair girls are now all about melanin. So if you’re dark and aren’t enjoying your complexion, better do so oh else the fair girls will show you how. I decided to come up with a compilation of quotes that will make you feel proud of your black beauty. Each time I read them, my confidence is boosted up and I’m reminded of my roots and glory.
- “Dipped in chocolate, bronzed in elegance, enameled with grace, toasted with beauty. My Lord, she’s a black woman.” –Yosef A.A. B.
- “I’m convinced that we black women possess a special indestructible strength that allows us to not only get down, but to get up, get through, and to get over.” – Janet Jackson
- “It is not our differences that divide us. It is our inability to recognize, accept and celebrate those differences.” – Audre Lorde
- “Deal with yourself as an individual worthy of respect and make everyone else deal with you the same way.” – Nikki Giovanni
India Arie “I am not my hair, I am not this skin, I am the soul that lives within.”
- ” I am not tragically colored. There is no great sorrow dammed up in my soul, nor lurking behind my eyes… Even in the helter-skelter skirmish that is my life, i have seen that the world is to the strong regardless of a little pigmentation more or less. No, I don’t weep at the world- I am too busy sharpening my oyster knife.” – Zora Neale Hurston
( one thing I’ve learnt from this quote is that there’s more to life than your skin color. life will hit you hard regardless of whether you are black or white and only the strong will survive.)
- The black skin is not a badge of shame but rather a glorious symbol of national greatness.” – Marcus Garvey
- “My skin absorbs the sun rays and my hair defies gravity. You can’t tell me I’m not magical.” – unknown
- “Just because you are different, doesn’t mean that you have to be rejected.” – Eartha Kitt
- “I hope that my presence on your screens and in magazines may lead you, young girl on a similar journey that you would feel the validation of your external beauty but also get into the deeper business of being beautiful inside. That there’s no shade in that beauty.” – Lupita Nyong’o
- “I hope my story will inspire you to not only love yourself from the inside-out, but to take a chance on yourself and chase your dreams!”- Kheris Rogers
- “God doesn’t judge dark skin, He judges dark hearts.” – unknown
- ” Melanin is an incomparable beauty. From the lightest to the darkest skin tone, black women are exquisite beauty in every shade. Yes, black females have that special something that just can’t be ignored. We are melanin queens, beautifully created! respect the complexion.” -SL
Lupita Nyong’o says
- “My complexion had always been an obstacle to overcome and all of a sudden, Oprah told me it wasn’t. It was perplexing and I wanted to reject it because I had begun to enjoy the seduction of inadequacy. But a flower couldn’t help but bloom inside of me.
- When I saw Alek Wek, I inadvertently saw a reflection of myself that I could not deny. Now I had a spring in my step because I felt more seen, more appreciated by the far away gatekeepers of beauty, but around me the preference of light skin prevailed.
- To the beholders that I thought mattered, I was still not beautiful. And my mother again would say to me, ‘you can’t eat beauty, it doesn’t feed you.’ And these words plagued and bothered me.
- I didn’t really understand them until finally I realized that beauty was not a thing that I could acquire or consume, it was something that I just had to be.” – Lupita Nyong’o
Finally, a quote by me… “wishing you were more or less light skin is like wishing you were someone else” – Bei Black Beauty
(please comment below one of your own beauty quotes).
You can compliment and celebrate others without necessarily wishing to be them because you are special, you are unique and you are enough!
So which of these quotes best resonate within you?
- Level Up your Feminine Hygiene - May 3, 2022
- Interview with some contestants of MCC 2019 - April 13, 2020
- About Miss Christian Cameroon - April 13, 2020
Awesome post. Love that which said the fact that you are different doesn’t mean you should be rejected.
Reading every piece you put up make me more confident of my black skin.
Thank you for raising your voice so high for our behalf.
yea i love that too. Being different only makes you unique. Thanks for the feedback Phil
i cant really say i have a quote but i know that God created us all in His image and he said it was good,so untill we understand that truth we allow the world to lie to us on how bauty should look like,if there should be anyone beautiful its God and we are of His image,so black,white,light,coloured we are all very beautiful in water skin we are,remember the skin is just a clothing there is someone inside of it and thats what matters most
well said. You are very correct. Thanks Elsie
God doesn’t judge dark skin. He judges dark hearts. I love this San?
Neither does He judge our looks, He sees but our hearts ♥️
Thanks for the feedback Abi ?
I am making a vedio related to this topic in instagram (my id _baby_bold3690) and this page helped me a lot.. And this page was also an insiprinational thing for me…. Thank u so much And one thing even I am also dark skinned one…..
Oh wow! That’s amazing. Can you please send the link here?
I’m sure others would love to see
My skin absorbs the sun rays and my hair defies gravity. You can’t tell me i’m not magical indeed we are magical to have this wonderful complection. Thanks for being the voice of the black for this will surely reduce the rate of bleaching by dark girls who feel inferior because of their colour. ## Team black beauty##
We are indeed magical and as you said, my prayer is that we dark people shouldn’t feel inferior. Of course, I can’t do that on my own but together we can!
It doesn’t matter whether you have fairer or darker color. It is how you feel comfortable.
Where can I share my story?
Here’s my email email@example.com
Would really love to hear your story