What is SELF LOVE? Alright! I know you’re very eager to know what self love is that’s why you are here. Self-love, defined as “love of self” or “regard for one’s own happiness or advantage”, has been conceptualized both as a basic human necessity and as a moral flaw, akin to vanity and selfishness.
According to the Brain and Behavior research foundation, self love is the state of appreciation that grows from actions that support our physical, physchological and spiritual growth. Its means taking care of one’s own need and not sacrificing one’s well being to please others
Ways to develop/practice self love
1) Practice good self care
- Take care of your body, emotions , spiritual and mental health.
- Don’t neglect yourself. Treat your self out , pamper yourself, create time for your self care routine.
- Stop comparing yourself to others!*
- Know that you are who you are. You are just fine the way you are and you are God’s own master piece formed in his image and likeness.
2) Be kind, patient, gentle and compassionate with yourself
Yes, you may have done some very awful things and made some terrible mistakes that may still be hunting you till today but be kind and compassionate enough to forgive yourself. Embrace the freedom that comes with forgiving yourself and move on. Stop beating yourself over failures and mistakes. Forgive yourself and find a way to move on or correct them. Be kind to yourself. Appreciate yourself and be happy when you do something good or successful. Even if no one notices your effort or work, appreciate yourself. Also, learn to be patient with yourself. You may not have everything figured out now, just be patient with yourself and its going to work out with time.
3) Make room for healthy habits
Take actions based on needs and not wants. Take out time for meditation, sports and affirmation. Read books, study something even just on the Internet. I also like to state that, You must learn not to worry about other people’s opinion. Allow yourself to make mistakes and be brave enough to learn from them. Exercise boldness in public and interact with others.
4) Have intimacy with God
God is the ultimate. Sometimes all we just really need to feel loved again, is to open our heart and receive the love that comes from the warm embrace of God our father. Remember, your value doesn’t lie in how your body looks or who people think you are. The truth is that their opinions don’t actually define you. Most times, other people’s opinion of you is just a reflection of who they are and you can’t be responsible for that.
5) Allow your self to feel both pain and joy ,love as fully as you can.
See beauty in life, take the opportunities life presents to you and create your own.
Remember, self love is putting your mental, emotional ,spiritual and physical well being first😊.
The bible clearly says;
LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF
It is so clear and needs no further explanations. In my opinion, the criteria for loving others genuinely is loving your own self genuinely.
Why is it important to love yourself?
- The key to a greater life satisfaction is self love.
- Self love gives you a positive attitude towards life.
- It will strip bitterness from you.
- Self love builds confidence for one’s own self.
- It wipes off the seeds of jealousy, depression and all that shit won’t even exist. Even if it gets to exist, it will not be as loud as it is in the world today.
In the end, if we all could love ourselves more, the world will definitely be a better place because we would all know how to love one another.
It will enable us to have more confidence in our own selves, trust the process God is taking us through.
I encourage you to trust God to teach you how to love yourself because only him has the complete recipe of love.
He is love himself, He is a loving father and his love for you is limitless.
I’ll like to end by letting you know that;
The solution to that depression you are going through right now is intimacy with Jesus
Begin your journey by getting into his loving arms and in no distant time, you’ll be full of love for yourself and others.