There I was, lying on my bed in the middle of the day, a Saturday for that matter. I could feel it creeping in, slowly but very tactically and meticulously. Like a thief, trying to rob a house at night, I felt like I was about to get robbed. Yes my mind was troubled. It all seemed like the world was moving and sadly, I wasn’t. You know that feeling of being left behind right?
All of a sudden, everything about my life seemed wrong. I no longer felt comfortable with what I studied in school, I wondered if I had the right friends and chased the right dreams. My challenges all came like a rush through my veins. No matter how hard I tried, it kept on coming. I wished someone could hear me or feel me. How come they can’t see me struggling?
It’s then that I understood that you can be in a crowd yet feel lonely. But why? Why now! Could it have been something I saw? How did I get to think so lowly of my self in such a short interval. I remember going through a couple of friends WhatsApp status earlier that day. So many wedding announcements, engagements, promotions goals crushed and lots and lots of smiles.
Wait a minute, I’m I being jealous now. I should be happy for them. On second thoughts, I’m truly happy for them and wish for more of such happy moments but I just wished I was a part of it.
Some of the signs you may be feeling depressed are thoughts or feelings of
- Not being loved
- shame or digrace
- being left out
- not achieving one’s goals or failure
- environmental change
- heart break
Some of the things you have to remember if you feel that way are
- You are loved
- so long as there’s life, there’s hope
- You are not alone. You may not feel like it but God is with you, has always been and always will be.
- It’s an attack from the devil, refuse to succumb
- Your future is bright. Your circumstances may just be obscuring you from that reality. Choose to look beyond the unseen.
- It’s not the end of you. If it was, you wouldn’t have been reading this now.
What to do
- Smile: watch a movie, listen to music, etc just do anything you know will make you smile.
- Acts of love: there’s a feeling you get when you give out love. It’s so fulfilling. If you can make someone smile, I mean, you definitely have a reason to live. When was the last time you made someone smile?
- Go through your dreams and plans over again, do you really want to throw it away?
Depression is a mood disorder that causes a persistent feeling of sadness and loss of interest. ( Definition by Mayo Clinic)
Depression is a thief, don’t let it rob you of your joy, happiness, future, loved ones.
Feeling guilty? check out 5 ways to get rid of guilt by Nji Philemon