Yea I know, I’m just a student and unmarried. What do I know about being a wife? but if I’m going to be married someday then I better start getting ready now. I know for most of us ladies, just the thought of marriage or even the sight of a wedding dress excites us. Most of us already know the exact shoe and dress we’ll wear, the sad thing is we plan for the big day yet have little or no idea of what comes after that.
Proverbs 18:22 says ‘he that finds a wife has found a good thing and obtains favor from the Lord, ‘it says a wife! (not a woman talk less a girl). When my future husband starts searching, I want to be a wife when he finds me.
so, here’s the kind of wife I want to be
1) One whom is praised by her husband, who finds her non comparable to other noble women
proverbs 31:28-29 … her husband also, and he praises her:
“Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.”
I believe that every woman is very unique in her own way and so shouldn’t let envy, insecurities and doubt override and distort their relationships with other fellow women but instead they should support each other.
“girls compete with each other while women empower each other.”
2) As hardworking as my mum: I’m sure there must be a kind of energy that comes with age because my mum is the bomb, sometimes I look at her and get tired for her. From cleaning the house to cooking to farm work most Saturdays, mama will work diligently and happily without complaining and she still has a job and a boss to report to.
In the future when I become a doctor one of my biggest fears is that I might get too busy to take care of my home. Already as a medical student living alone, sometimes I barely have time to cook for myself and it’s in those times that I remember that if I can’t take care of myself now as a student, I won’t be able to do so as a doctor talk less of when I get married and have children. Sometimes I get realistic with myself for example if I can’t make myself breakfast before school, will I be able to make breakfast for my family before work?
proverbs 31:15 “she gets up while its night; she provides food for her family and portions for her female servants”
3) Financially independent: Yes I said it, but before you are quick to judge and call me names such as Miss independent or feminist let me explain. In my country, we have so many funny cultures and in as much as I pray not to marry from any of such, sometimes life happens and I want to be ready for the worst. One thing that pains me is seeing a family broke because the husband lost his job or is financially challenged. I want to be able to take care of my family even when my husband fails to do so. I want to support him and make him know that he can count on me to take care of our children when he’s not around. So I ask myself questions like if my husband is no more, will I be able to afford the same life he gave my children and I? I want to be an asset and not a liability, to not be only at the receiving end but to give and add profits to the family account. So as early as now, I save and invest for my future.
proverbs 31:18 “she sees that her trading is profitable, and her lamp doesn’t go out by night”
4) Submissive: Did I say I admire my mum? I praise God for my mum because she has been the perfect example. Right from childhood I’ve watched my mum set the table for my dad in the morning before work and in the evening when he comes back. Never have I seen my dad serve himself directly from the pot. Even when she’s not around she’ll make sure she assigns someone to do so. Sometimes it shocks me when I visit a friend and I see her dad dish himself. Well some will say it’s too much protocol and others will say its archaic but I’ll love to treat my husband like the king he is.
5) Prayerful: Last but not the least I’ll love to be a prayerful wife. One who falls on her knees daily to intercede for her husband and children. I’ll treasure my relationship with God first before anyone else. To be the watchman who stands at the gate and prevents any evil from entering our home. To intercede for my husband, committing all his affairs into God’s hand. Such that when troubles/challenges come I’ll run to nobody else but Jesus. So before I ever marry, my relationship with God must be very strong so I can keep that up in my matrimonial home. Some of the ways I grow my relationship with Him is seeking Him through His Word and in the place of prayer
proverbs 31:30 “charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised”
Well let me end here for now, this is just a tip of the iceberg because trust me I want to be so much more. But I do understand it’s not just about wanting but doing and it’s not a one-time thing but a process. What kind of wife do you want to be and what are you doing about it?
- Level Up your Feminine Hygiene - May 3, 2022
- Interview with some contestants of MCC 2019 - April 13, 2020
- About Miss Christian Cameroon - April 13, 2020